My wife and I have just been out for our weekly neighborhood trash pickup, 10 pounds per city block. It has made me wonder who these people are that use our freedom and liberty to trash the outdoors. I realize that as a young man I didn’t feel the way I do now about such things, but as I’ve matured, I now know that to push my foibles and idiosyncrasies off on others is just being a bully. As we’ve seen in recent years, the general public doesn’t want to put up with certain habits, “i.e.” smoking indoors. If this is a prediction of things to come, maybe the smokers who want to retain what liberty is left to them, should redefine their ashtray. My children saw me give up smoking and throwing butts out the window and they will never do either, I hope.
All the people you see cleaning up trash on the streets may not be doing community service, but instead be doing the community a service only because it’s right. Helping with that task can be as simple as keeping your foibles and idiosyncrasies to yourself, “i.e.” your ashtray inside your car.
As we mature, we see the need to revise your personal liberties to benefit all of us! This is real freedom, real liberty.
No comments:
Post a Comment