I’ve always had my questions about the status of sports, even though I’ve been good at a few. When working with a younger man who was a University of Alaska M.V.P. in basketball, I asked him why it was such a status thing. He replied, “It’s about doing something few people can do”. His suspicion that I was jealous because I was 6 ft. tall and couldn’t dunk, was incorrect. I proposed a game that included him and 4 others of his size (6 ft. 5 in.) and 5(under 4 ft.) people. The court would be roughly 40 sq. ft. The baskets would be near the floor and the points would have to be made from the bottom. I guess my reasoning is, Your ability is in direct relation to the rules of the sport. They can be skewed to fit a certain physical type. Sports are devised to reward and advance the physical types we admire.
No comments:
Post a Comment