I’ve heard of people who cannot remember or memorize anything. They are thought by some to be either lazy or liars, or both. I’ve been around more than a half century and it has begun to dawn on me that I don’t know as much as I did last year. Am I getting smarter about the previous state of things or am I just aging, or both. I can see and hear the truth about things much better when I’m not talking. So, is the mute person the smartest one around, maybe? It certainly doesn’t hurt to be quite. Talking is not all it’s cracked up to be. One can get in all kinds of trouble by running off at the mouth. I know, I’m a past master and less frequently a present master. The real trouble with not having a good memory is the habit of repeating ones mistakes. That and having to remember all your lies, if one is a prevaricator. Learning by rote is not fast, but sometimes the lessons are absorbed better and retained longer. It’s unfortunate that lifes grades are given for our ability to remember and not our ability to grow. Many in command of the things of this world are admired for doing what is easy for them. They have never struggled with anything. Others have struggled plenty for them. Those who persevere in the face of many hardships and struggles are ones most admirable. But even those, are not doing anything that we are not all put here to do. It’s in our nature.
At least I think it is, I can’t remember.
No comments:
Post a Comment