Why isn’t the outcome of the game enough to celebrate? Do we have to celebrate every play, every strike, every goal. Why is winning everything? Why aren’t the losers included in the celebration? Haven’t they played their best too? Not every game I’ve watched was decided by the best of everything. Lots of skill, lots of luck, lots of planning, lots of mistakes. These are the things that decide a game. We all learned these things as small children. As I get older I see lots more. I see the losers weeping, I see the covered heads, I see the turning away to the lockers. I don’t see the losers massing in front of the dugout or on the sidelines and applauding the winners. I don’t see any of the winners drawing the losers into the celebration or treating them with the sportsmanship I’m looking for. If we’re who we say we are, do we want the rest of the world to see us as poor sports? Are we poor sports? Is this the view we project and the idea that our house is divided? The great thing about freedom is the ability to give and take any honestly given comment on any subject and develop your own conclusions. Freedom's poorest thing is the ability to manipulate and bend anything honest and pure to suit whatever is on ones mind or in ones spirit. If we play the pure game and examine our motives, we will never need to be defended.
That’s sportsmanship.
No comments:
Post a Comment